[ale] OT: xml-rpc question

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Tue Dec 3 13:07:28 EST 2002

Anyone work much with xml-rpc?  I'm implementing a Java web service and
attempting to pass a custom type to the service.

The jax-rpc docs state that it only supports a subset of types (vector
included), but I was wondering, can you wrap an custom type in a Vector
and then cast it on the service side?  In other words, can you get around
the type limitation by encapsulating a custom type in a Vector, as long as
both the client and the server know about the type?  I'm not quite sure
how a vector's data is "serialized" into xml, but since the actual
contents of the Vector are generically represented as objects, it would
seem you could wrap in a vector and cast to appropriate type on the server
side.

Thanks for the info.

John