[ale] Japanese text input with Kinput2

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Tue Dec 3 01:53:26 EST 2002

Kevin Krum wrote:
> I'm trying to get Japanese text input to work in
> Galeon.  I've installed RPMs for locales-ja, FreeWnn,
> and kinput2-wnn4.  Init starts the jserver daemon (and
> it's running).  I close all instances of Galeon so new
> ones don't use the same process.  In an xterm, I
> export LANG=ja_JP.EUC and LC_ALL=ja_JP.EUC.  I start
> kinput2 in the background, and start Galeon.  It
> prints a gdk warning about the current locale not
> being supported by the C library.
>
> At this point, whenever an input field has the focus,
> I should be able to hit shift-space and pop up the
> kinput2 window.  But nothing happens.
>
> Any ideas?

Works for me...but I typically use Moz for J input, because turning on J input in Galeon also converts all the menus to J.  If anyone knows how to enable J-input on galeon and keep the English menus, I'd be interested in knowing that.

make sure you conversion engine is running
wnn        300     1  0 Nov13 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/cannaserver
make sure kinput2 is running...
keithh   17827     1  0 Nov13 ?        00:00:00 kinput2 -xim -kinput -canna
set...
LANG=ja_JP
XMODIFIERS=@im=kinput2
run galeon

Shift-space...bingo!

I think your problem is the ".EUC" in the LANG setting.  If I try that, it breaks.

> http://webpages.smyrnacable.net/krum/fwlug_logo.jpg

:-D

--
Lost in Tokyo,