[ale] Wintel and ComTIA standing tall for our sake

Eric Webb ttlchaos at randomc.com
Mon Dec 2 18:15:18 EST 2002

Ooh, I love this one!

On Tuesday 03 December 2002 02:49 am, Rafos701 at aol.com wrote:
> >    LONDON (11/28/2002) - A U.S. trade association, the Initiative for
>
> Software Choice (ISC), [.....]
> The ISC, launched in May, includes Microsoft Corp., Cisco Systems Inc. and
> Intel Corp. as members and is chaired by a group known for its close ties
> to Microsoft, the Computing Technology Industry Association, or CompTIA.

Hmm, Microsoft funding an initiative on "software choice" (or the killing
thereof)?  Incredible!

> The ISC countered that "the DoD should not openly promote" the use of open
> software because it may not be, in all cases, the software best suited for
> a project.

... or Microsoft's purse...

> Furthermore, the DoD should also "not be fettered by a
> preconception that OSS software is somehow inherently more secure," the ISC
> said.

Agreed.  We should all trust software that we can't personally verify the
source for.  Microsoft's code, in particular, is always particularly
trustworthy.

> CompTIA has denied such accusations, stressing that it is simply promoting
> the idea that governments should buy software that best meets their needs.

"Their"... the government's or CompTIA's?

Heeheehee, I just LOVED this article!  :)

-E.