[ale] Linux on Game Consoles--the answer!

synco gibraldter synco at xodarap.net
Sun Dec 1 03:31:43 EST 2002

i have a question regarding the dreamcast linux specifically:
i installed the ip-personality patch to my x86 kernel.  for those who
aren't familiar with it, it basically modifies certain tcp characteristics
commonly used for os fingerprinting.  here is an exerpt from the package's
README:

The characteristics that can be changed are:
 - TCP Initial Sequence Number (ISN)
 - TCP initial window size
 - TCP options (their types, values and order in the packet)
 - IP ID numbers
 - answers to some pathological TCP packets
 - answers to some UDP packets

it interfaces directly with iptables and comes with several preset
configuration files designed to emulate different systems including
macosx, fbsd, win2k/9x, solaris, amiga, and of course, dreamcast.  i tried
out the dreamcast profile because i thought it would be delightfully
deceptive, but i had to get rid of it.  it starts with a random tcp seq
number, but then has a small fixed increment.  this would seemingly be an
invite to abuse, so i decided not to use it-- my question is whether or not
dreamcast actually operates on such a primitive seq system by default and
if it's configurable for some fattie random increments to lock it down a
bit.  if not, i don't think i'd put it on an insecure network.  anybody
actually used a dreamcast linux system and know about this?

i'm also wondering about the speed of its processor... anyone done (or
read) a benchmark test?

[sidenote]
i also read recently in an article (or a "heads up" more accurately) that
game consoles have been used recently to infiltrate corporate networks
because they are inconspicuous and netadmins often overlook them in
security.  some folk apparently used them to create a tunnel from inside
to outside the lan, then did their dirty business on the company's network
as if they had broken the firewall.  it must be nice to work in a business
environment where it's acceptable to bring/use a game console.. but the
point is that the risk is there.  bringing in a $60 game console and
plugging it in is enough to gain access to your company's network from the
outside.

regarding microsoft; i bet they hate the fact that people are putting
linux on their xboxes-- they've recently modified their 'xbox live'
network to detect modified xboxes and ban them permanently from using
their network.  i thought it was related to pirated software, which it
probably does to a large extent, but linux may have had some influence.  i
love it.
[/sidenote]

thx,
synco gibraldter