[ale] OT:DSL Wiring (To My Linux Box tho)

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Aug 30 15:14:02 EDT 2002

> Jeff Rose wrote:
> > I've moved my computer to another room in the back of the house.  The
> > room didn't have a phone jack so I installed one.  Now my speeds have
> > dropped from ~140K to 60-70K.  I used cat3 wire and a standard modular
> > jack.  When I reconnect to the old jack in the other room, speeds are
> > still ~140.  It is on an older wire that is thicker.  Should I have used
> > different wire?
>
> If you're running 100mb, you should use cat5.

You missed the point. He extended his normal phone line that has DSL with cat3
and got a huge dropoff in performance.

But cat5 woudn't be a bad idea for 2 reasons:

* Probably better performance on the DSL.
* If no performance gain on the DSL then leave the modem is its original spot
  and use ethernet over cat5 for the remaining distance.

BAJ