[ale] whois

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Fri Aug 30 10:48:56 EDT 2002

whois.CRSNIC.net only takes second-level domains in the .COM, .NET, .ORG
and .EDU top-level domains. In other words, it'll take CNN.com, but neither
www.CNN.com nor http://CNN.com .

whois.ARIN.net, OTOH, only takes numeric IP addresses. If it's not mapped
in ARIN, they are at least kind enough to tell you which database to go
to (usually APNIC.net, RIPE.net or LACNIC.net, which in turn may refer you
to a country-specific NIC).

I wish whois.CRSNIC.net could similarly refer you if you were, say, trying
to find info on, say, the Telstra.com.Au domain. I think WorldNIC used to
do this, but their whois server appears to have been down for several
months if not years.