[ale] LOGOS

Michael Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Fri Aug 30 10:33:55 EDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-08-30 at 10:10, Christopher R. Curzio wrote:
> Err, I've seen this comment a lot, and it bugs me a little.
>
> GIMP is not really meant to be a vector drawing tool any more than say,
> Photoshop. That's really why Adobe makes Illustrator, with Photoshop as
> its Bitmap counterpart. Saying the lack of vectors in GIMP is a drawback
> is like saying that my 1991 Nissan's only drawback is that it can't go
> offroad like a Hum-Vee. They're both designed for transportation, but each
> serves a different, specific need.
>
> I don't know about PS6, or if it has any vector utilities (as I haven't
> been current with Photoshop since I bought v4) but I still think its
> primary function is bitmap editing.

That's what I always thought, too, but I've recently watched someone use
photoshop as a drawing tool.  It either has vector stuff, or something
that can fake it pretty well.

At the end, I think PS produced a bitmap, but there were a lot of
vectors used before the end.  It convinced me that it would be useful to
have a lot more drawing tools in the GIMP.

--Michael