[ale] Best base install

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 30 00:42:43 EDT 2002

"Christopher R. Curzio" wrote:

> Greg,
>
> Slackware has several different installation methods from which to choose,
> and I'm betting "expert" is what you're looking for.
>
> The "expert" mode lets you control which packages get installed, down to
> every single package. While this takes longer than the "Full" method, this
> gives you *exact* control as to what gets intalled on your system, because
> for every package on the CD, it will prompt you "Install package foo?"
>
> The reason it takes so long is because you're prompted whether you want to
> install every last package. If I remember corretly, it will automatically
> install packages marked "required", and prompt you for the rest. It marks
> these as "optional" or "recommended".
>
> There's also a "menu" mode that allows you to select groups of packages,
> but the "expert" mode is more precice.

The behavior you describe above is "menu" mode - required packages
magically installed, others presented in a menu on a per-category
basis (all A packages on one screen, all AP packages on one screen,
etc.) So you get to see each package and check it or not, but
you don't have to answer a prompt for every single package.

"expert" mode is exactly the same, except that it also shows
you the required packages (checked by default) so you can
uncheck them if you want.

I did a fairly minimal Slack install yesterday, just the
A and N categories, in "expert" mode, and ended up with
about 150MB used on my HD. I think you could get it a
lot smaller if you mercilessly unchecked stuff.

-- Joe
  "I'd rather chew my leg off than maintain Java code, which
   sucks, 'cause I have a lot of Java code to maintain and
   the leg surgery is starting to get expensive." - Me