[ale] weird scsi behavior...

da Black Baron dbaron13 at atl.bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 28 22:24:32 EDT 2002

Stephan Uphoff wrote:

>>I can mount it perfectly fine
>>*after* I login (or with a line in /etc/rc.d/rc.local), which shows all
>>the SCSI mods are loading.
>>

>Did you upgrade your kernel ?
>( To one without support for kerneld)
>
>If not take a look at your startup scripts starting at
> (??/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit??) to see where your mount command is
>in relationship to your module loading (or our kerneld startup).
>
>Good luck
>
>	Stephan

Yes, actually, I"ve checked just about everything you list there- I
can't figure it.  For some reason, when the upgrade replaced the kernel,
etc., it didn't put the scsi mods in the
/lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/scsi directory (well it did place
ide_scsi there and one more, I don't remember which, so the kernel was
spitting out "module not found" messages for awhile- which puzzeled me,
since it would mount the disk after I logged in (or in rc.local, for
that matter), yet if I commeted-out the line in rc.modules which tells
the system where to look for modules, it would *not*, contrary to what
one would expect if the scsi drivers were built-into the kernel.
So I dropped the modules from the 2.2.16 directory into it, and they
seemed to be acceptable to the 2.4.1 kernel, which removed the errors,
yet didn't mount the drive

Someone on the sub-G lyst mentioned that slack 8.1 had be bugged with a
scsi-module loadiing problem- copying the old mods  seems to have fixed
that, but it still didn't mount the disk even after the errors during
bootup were gone.  It also doesn't explain why the modules were actually
LOADED after logging-in,  and could be found with lsmod.

One of my problems seems to have been that I copied over the /etc/passwd
file (duh) with the passwd.new file, which killed all my users, and
before I realized that my scsi disk wasn't mounting, I had gone ahead
and (re)created the user database under /home directly to the ide disk,
and moving them to /tmp and then back to the scsi after mount didn't
retain the ownership/permissions of the directories.

I've decided for the moment to simply mount the disk in rc.local, and
I've re-created the user-base on the mounted disk, and moved all the
files from the previous directories to the new ones created by adduser.
 Not particularly elegant, or guru-ish, but it works for the moment, and
I can continue at my leisure to examine and experiment to determine why
the line in /etc/fstab isn't doing what it should- since such a mystery
is my meat and potatos, anyway.

Now I have to learn iptables- something 7.1 allowed me to slide on for a
few years, and which is more pressing at the moment, since the big
problem was with user directories with all the wrong permissions.  :-)
 Gotta get the LAN talking to the world again...

Thanx, everyone, everywhere who responded.