[ale] gentoo: not by the books?

Stephen Turner artic_knight at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 29 21:31:46 EDT 2002

hey, i was looking for a distro that did a rather highly low end install,
im thinking im going to have to make one tho, see i like gentoos package
manager, and i just want to basically untar a hard disk image to my
computer like gentoo does, something with the basic file structure (just
the folders) and only the apps needed to use a package manager like emerge
and compile them, unfortunately i havent been able to experiment or peruse
the internet much due to my recent move, my only connection is at school
which of course bans dl material. to my knowledge gentoo wgets its files
during the bootstrap, basically i just want to skip a boot strap and only
get the applications i want, i also like the flexability behind gentoo
where you modify all the configs and such yourself, (i think there should
be more docs explaining all configs in the system and what they do ;) but
in any case is there a distro that does this? just tarballs a basic system
to the hard disk that only has enough apps to get and compile? nothing
more? i was thinking it would probobly be no more than 25 megs if that
much but then maybe gentoo has portage in the tarball? i havent been able
to look, but im able to check my email so i figured id ask :) sorry if
this is a dumb waste of time question, thanks for your time and help :)

ps: im really bored :-p ill shut up now.