[ale] gentoo term question

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Thu Aug 29 15:29:27 EDT 2002

>> Okay, I installed my favorite editor vi on my gentoo box,
>> yet it leaves me in 'open mode' as in one line at a time.
>> So I start looking around and I don't have a termcap file.
>> I'd a thought that would have been standard with the install.
>>
>> So, any clue as to where I get a termcap file from?

> I just saw a message go by on the kernelnewbies list to
> the effect of, "nothing uses termcap anymore, you need
> to install and/or update terminfo instead."

I'm thinking this might be a USE flag issue (when you emerged vi, you didn't
have a necessaary USE flag set), but didn't see one that jumps out at me as
the one you would need.

The only other thing I can think of, is everyone on the list that I have
seen talking about vi, actually emerged vim.

So, you might wanna try asking on the Gentoo list.

Sorry

Charles