[ale] Remote X

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Thu Aug 29 10:48:57 EDT 2002

David Corbin wrote:
> I have two Debian systems (Desktop and Laptop, for the purposes of this
> discussion).  I would like to configure Laptop so that it boots up and
> acts like an X terminal logging in and running on Desktop.  I don't mean
> just run remote systems, I mean I'm never log in to my client. I plan on
> setting this up for a particular runlevel

[snip]
> Suggestions?

If you are only working on a LAN, then I think the whole ssh thing is the wrong way to go at it.

> Can anyone on point me at a good tutorial/howto on this subject?

This page describes how to convert PC's into standalone X Window Systems terminals which can serve as graphical terminals to your existing Linux/Unix workstations.

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue27/kaszeta.html

The article uses XDM, but I believe GDM will serve the same purpose.  I also think you can specify a host in the Laptop's xinitrc (or some config file) and only point to a specific host.

--
Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith