[ale] OT- Transition to fast access

mainwizard at vei.net mainwizard at vei.net
Wed Aug 28 16:49:18 EDT 2002

OK. Bellsouth has this new thing. They call it a remote access point (RAP). And what it does is create a point closer to your house that connects to the CO via fibre. No distance restriction. Then, the new distance restriction is how far you are from the RAP.

I know this because my DSL service was crap because I was 18,300 ft from the CO, 300 ft more than their 'limit'. They routed my connection thru the RAP 4000 ft from my house and now my connection is nearly perfect.

The problem is that they don't advertise the RAP's. I'm not sure why. Lot's of evil speculation though:-)

Ed.