[ale] The world just got screwed....

Jordi S. Bunster j.bunster at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 27 22:56:57 EDT 2002

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 10:26:22PM -0400, Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> I haven't seen subsequent posts to the thread so I don't know if anyone
> else has already chimed in with this data point, but I've been using
> notlame to good effect for quite some time now.

Well, but notlame is non-free. There's a patent behind it. Is not the
license, not the code. Is the patent.

Well, I don't know about you guys but, I'm switching my whole collection
to ogg. I know is not going to sound that nice, because I'm converting
from mp3 to ogg, but at least I will be marking the ones I convert from
mp3 with a tag, so that I can rip them from CDs if I have a chance in
the future. I get to keep my songs (and be able to *play* them), without
using non-free software.

And, of course, new songs will all be ogg. That's going to take a while
on my Pentium 200, but, hey, one more reason to upgrade. Seriously.

Heck, I'm not even using jpegs anymore on my site. And I'm about not to
use them even on my local archives.

Whatever it takes to ensure total freedom. Call me a zealot, but then
think of the fact that this is my hobby, the way I want to make my
money to live, and my major. In summary, is a very big part of my life.
That's why freedom is important. Is not like I use a PC 5 minutes a day.

 -- Jordi