[ale] How to put HPT372 module into the kernel at boot properly?

Dow Hurst dhurst at kennesaw.edu
Tue Aug 27 13:35:50 EDT 2002

I'd like to finish my Gentoo install but have run into a problem.  I
need to have the kernel understand my HPT372 builtin to the motherboard
controller for the two disks I have on the two disk controllers that the
HPT372 runs.  Currently when I boot with the initial installation CD, I
have /dev/hde and /dev/hdg available.  /dev/hda is the DVD drive.  The
Abit MB has IDE 1 and 2 as normal controllers and IDE 3 and 4 as the
Raid controllers under the HPT372 chips control.

I've downloade the HPT372 source and compiled it successfully, but need
to know how to make it part of the kernel or available to the kernel
immediately on boot.  I know the Reiserfs module is inserted via initrd
under SuSE.  What do I do with Gentoo?  Grub acted strange by treating
my /dev/hde and /dev/hdg as not existing and would recognize somehow a
/dev/hda.  Bizarre with that.

Anyway, what would be the best way to approach this?  I only have the
two matched disks in the machine.  I could put an additional drive, an
old 2Gb, on the IDE1 controller as /dev/hda.  Switch the DVD drive to
/dev/hdb and just load the HPT372 as a module after initial boot.

Any advice?
Dow