[ale] Yet another advocacy story

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Tue Aug 27 13:42:06 EDT 2002

So last Friday, on my way home, I decided to go shopping for a wireless
card. I had already stopped by Staples on my lunch hour looking for the
cheap D-Link card that some people had recommended to me, but I didn't see
it there, just Netgear cards that seemed a bit expensive to me. So I stopped
by an Office Depot, and I didn't see it there either, but I did see a cheap
Linksys card ($50 after rebate). But "in my way" was a representative from
Belkin, there for the day to make sure Belkin products got sold. So when he
asked if I needed help, I asked who he was with. When he replied he was
with Belkin, my first question was "so do your cards work in Linux?"

He wasn't able to answer it immediately, and by the time he could call his
HQ to find out if it was, I had already located the Linksys card, which I
pointed out to him was not only explicitly supported for Linux by Linksys,
but was also $20 less that Belkin's equivalent product.