[ale] Contact Manager ???

Jim jcphil at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 27 11:11:30 EDT 2002

On Tuesday 27 August 2002 10:58 am, Gary MacKay wrote:
> At the risk of starting a religeous discussion, what is avaliable in the
> linux market for contact management, such as Act! and Goldmine?? I'm
> narrowing down on a 'standard' (my guess at a standard anyway) linux
> workstation to offer my clients and one area I'm not sure of is CM. Some
> of my clients are using LookOut but most are on Act! or Goldmine. I'm
> aware of the web versions like phpGroupWare, etc. but was looking for a
> non-web based solution. Something to track phone calls, appointments,
> etc. I looked at Evolution, but I think it must have Gnome installed to
> use it and I've settled on KDE as the desktop.
>
> Please do not take off on tangents on why did I pick OpenOffice or KDE
> or whatever. For better or worse that is where it is at for now. I just
> need to find a good business solution, not home use, for CM.

If you use all of the pieces of Kdepim to their fullest potential, you will
find most of the stuff you need. There is an organizer, an address book, an
alarm daemon, and the e-mail client. They all interact together and have all
of the functionality of Outlook. I am running KDE 3.0.3 and it just keeps
working together better with each new iteration.