[ale] OT- Transition to fast access

aaron aaron at pd.org
Tue Aug 27 01:50:02 EDT 2002

On Monday 26 August 2002 17:09, you wrote:
> >Yes, I think it is a waste of time - I don't even think they'd attempt
> > an install at that distance.
>
> Not so fast there...  I'm _at_ 36,500 feet, and this email will go out
> over my DSL at 256k up/1.5 down. Depends on what equipment is in the
> area.  If Bellsouth's fast access site says you qualify, you can get
> something reasonable.

Are you certain about that C.O. distance??
I am at a (repeatedly measured and confirmed) distance of 17,200 ft. and,
through ADSL provisioning attempts across 3 different phone lines
(including adding 2 new internal wiring runs) and 2 different service
providers, my ADSL delivery from Bell South (BS) has been marginal at
best and suffering from extremely frequent re-syncs and outages at worst.

The B.S. from the BS monopoly (and, via downhill flow, from the two
service providers who have worked with me repeatedly to get proper
service out of their access contracts on the monopoly's hardware) is that
the maximum acceptable C.O. distance for ADSL is 18,000 ft.  That
distance number has been the long running excuse from the BS monopoly for
ignoring all persisting connectivity problems and consistently refusing
to repair their lines.

I will hand it to Directv-DSL for being much more accessable, much more
persevering and (eventually) much more successful than Earthlink was at
squeezing usable, if still marginal, service out of BS and their lines.
I'm currently living with an average of 500kB DL / 256kB UL with frequent
re-syncs that occasionally (currently daily) require a power reset of the
DSL modem to restore the connection.  The anternative is to use the BS
monopoly or the AT&T cable monopoly as my service provider, neither of
which even acknowledges that Linux computers function perfectly with
their systems, let alone providing any actual Linux related support like
DirecTV. For me such inexcusable exclusionary practices render the
monopoly providers unusable, so in point of fact I haven't any viable
alternatives.

So, Mr. Robertson, if it's not too much trouble I would appreciate it if
you could confirm that you are indeed getting reliable ADSL service at
distance of 36,500 feet (analog copper) from the C.O.  If that's the case
then your experience can serve as great ammunition for a class action
suite, especially if your service provider is the Bell South monopoly!
;-)

peace
(after justice)
aaron