[ale] OT- Transition to fast access

Mike Panetta ahuitzot at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 26 21:36:41 EDT 2002

Just to clerify his post that it does work...  I am in Dacula (where the
origional poster of the question lives) and I have DSL via mspring, and
it DOES work, at an almost guaranteed rate (my guarantee not msprings or
bellsouths) at 150KB/s+.  This of course depends on where I am
connecting to, but its almost always that fast.  BTW, 150KB/s is
1200Kb/s, or ~1.2Mb/s.

The only reason I can think that it works is this:  I am less then the
required max distance from a "telco fibre box thingy" (I do not know the
technical name for it, but they are the brownish beige boxes you
sometimes see on the side of the road).  This box takes a fibre line
from the real telco and redistributes it to copper at the box, so my
effective distance (copper distance) from the telco could be as little
as 1500 feet.  I am not sure which box I am connected to, but I do know
that there are several in Dacula which I notice on the side of the road
while driving around.

This is why my DSL works (I think).