[ale] favorite distros

Michael Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Aug 26 13:30:47 EDT 2002

Okay, I'll toss in my Humble Opinion.

1. Mandrake for it's easy and transparent install, excellent admin
tools, KDE support and belief in the GPL.

2. RedHat for it's ubiquity and stability and belief in the GPL.

3. Debian for it's easy upgradability and insistence upon Open Source.
Negative marks for its terrifying install.  I'm looking forward to
Xandros, a Debian/KDE based system (formerly known as corel Linux).

4. Suse for the fine engineering.  Demerits for not being as Open as the
above.

5. SLS and Tamu linux for being cutting edge in 1993 when I first
installed Linux.

--Michael