[ale] Favorite distros

sangell at nan.net sangell at nan.net
Mon Aug 26 12:33:49 EDT 2002

I would have to say Redhat is my first, mainly because I started playing
around with RedHat at release 4.0 I think it was, not sure but it was the
current release in the Summer of 1996 and I downloaded the entire OS over
the course of 3 days on 14.4 modem, 3 packages at a time! ;-) I have had
VERY little difficulties in getting it to install on just about ANY
hardware you want to throw at it. For me it runs stable when I lean the
install up and only install the apps I need. If you coose the install
everything option when installing you are just asking for problmes, IMO
anyway.
I would put Mandrake 2nd but I have had issues installing Mandrake on
systems that run Redhat flawlessly, had I been able to afford the time to
do so I am sure those could have been worked out.

I hear a lot about Slackware and Debian, have installed both with some
problems, again, I am sure I could work those out if I had the luxury of
time on my side. I keep saying I am going to attend an installfest for this
very reason but have yet to make it. I would love to see what Slackware and
Debian fans are raving about!

I have also used a few customized offerings such as Smoothwall, which I
think is a GREAT firewall package for most home users and can be
incorporated into the business realm with a little tweaking.

\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
\_    Steve Angell,  MCSE, CCNA           _/
\_    MIS Operations Manager               _/
\_    TSYS Debt Management             _/
\_    Norcross, GA                                   _/
\_    Phone 770-409-5570                    _/
\_    Fax      770-416-1752                   _/

                    "Matthew Brown"
                    <matthew.brown at co       To:     "'Atlanta Linux User Group \(E-mail\)'" <ale at ale.org>
                    rdata.net>              cc:
                                            Subject:     [ale] Favorite distros
                    08/26/2002 10:35
                    AM

I'll start...

I prefer the following distros in order. My experience level is good sys
admin.  I deal mostly with servers and apps, almost never with end users.

1. RedHat Linux    -     I like to support a long time player.  They have a
great install routine.  I am too fat, dumb, and lazy to install from
source.

2. Mandrake Linux     -    I've never installed this, but use it at a
client's.  It has a great default window manager setup, and it's easy to
try the whole variety as they have several installed.

I have never used gentoo, debian, or SuSe.

Best regards,
Matthew Brown, President
CorData, Inc.
O: (770) 795-0089