[ale] [OT] AJC Article on State Welfare System

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Mon Aug 26 10:25:06 EDT 2002

On Monday 26 August 2002 08:48 am, Jonathan Glass wrote:

> That was my thought.  I'm going to setup a web page with my thoughts on how
> to design this relatively simple system.  I think I can design the server
> (Dell, HP, PenguinComputing) with ease, as long as it has redundant
> everything, the RDBMS backend, and a demo front end using PHP+APACHE+ZOPE.
>
> I really think this could be, and should be, an open-source
> project/product.

You don't understand. An open-source product simply wouldn't cost enough.
Let's examine a hypothetical $30 million solution:

First, the successful bidder has certainly made promises to return say, $10
million to the 'local economy' by using local subcontractors. If those
subcontractors happen to be related to certain politicians, you shouldn't
be surprised.

Secondly, all involved know that the successful bidder is expected to provide
lots of free lunches, trips, golf games, etc. which are known as "planning
sessions".

Next, the larger the initial contract, the more significant that 50 - 100%
cost overrun. Basic math.

Finally, most politicians or gov't department heads would MUCH rather be
in charge of a failed $30 million project than a successful $3 project.
It looks good on their resume, and they can always blame the failure on
someone else.

Geeks tend to think of technological solutions to problems. Technology is
the least of the problems here.  The only technological solution I can think
of which has any chance of succeeding is the electric cattle prod.

Can you overclock those things?

Irv