[ale] OT- Transition to fast access

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Mon Aug 26 10:04:28 EDT 2002

The Linksys (and maybe some of the others) allows you to change the MAC
address ths ISP sees, so thats not a problem - just change it to the MAC
addy of your NIC when you get it - works like a charm.

> look @ the other routers, also.  i am unhappy with the
> performance of my Linksys BEFSR41.  It needed resetting a
> lot for some reason (firmware 1.42.3) and the surfing is
> faster with the Linux router (using BEFSR41 as switch only).
> I think the firewall is basically non-existent on the
> BEFSR41, also.

Well, this may be one of those YMMV cases.  We've been using the Linksys for
about 2.5 years now (or shortly after they first came out), and have had no
problems whatsoever - other than the very occasional need to go in and
manually disconnect and reconnect.

It's also been our outer-perimeter firewall, and it hasn't been bypassed yet
(knock on wood).

> it seems real susceptible to DOS and other attacks.  the
> 1.42.7
>
> http://www.firewallguide.com/hardware.htm
> http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/download/0/1327/BroadbandRouters.pdf
>
> Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Routers May Allow Remote
> Administration Even When This Feature is Disabled
> http://www.securitytracker.com/alerts/2002/Jun/1004604.html

Thanks for the tip - missed this one!

Anyone wanna verify this for me?  We have 1.42.7 firmware installed.  Email
me privately and I'll give you our IP addy.

Thanks

charles