[ale] home networking difficulties

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Aug 26 09:49:48 EDT 2002

I hate to mention this as it is a poor excuse for administration of a
machine, but have you done the "back-up data, wipe drive, install from
scratch" process on the windows box. I have not used WinME, but I have
run into Win9x situations where, due to registry scrambling and
dll-hell, a reinstall was the only process that worked.

At this point, short of the complete reinstall, I would suggest removing
(from the gui wizards process) the entire networking components. Start
with the protocol level and work up (or down, depending on viewpoint)
the dependency chain to the hardware level. Remove the service component
before the hardware if you can. Then reboot and have the driver disks
ready.