[ale] [OT] AJC Article on State Welfare System

Jonathan Glass jonathan.glass at ibb.gatech.edu
Mon Aug 26 09:48:27 EDT 2002

At 09:26 AM 8/26/2002 -0400, James P. Kinney III wrote:
>Wow! You sound like you have experience working with Georgia state
>contracts! Wanna help drum up some business for a bunch of out of work
>Linux geeks?
>
>On Mon, 2002-08-26 at 09:12, Irv Mullins wrote:
>

> > Ah, my friend, there's a lot PostgreSQL can't do, for example:
> >
> > 1. remove politicians' hands from the taxpayer's pockets.
> > 2. prevent politicians from taking payoffs from every company which
> wants to
> > bid on the job
> > 3. create any incentive for government workers to actually do the work
> > they're paid to do
> > 4. prevent petty political power grabs by so-called "public servants"
> >
> > OpenSource won't help either.
> >
> > Let's face facts - this is not an insurmountable task. Lots of big
> businesses
> > (credit reporting agencies, for example) already do work of a similar
> nature
> > and scale. The reason Georgia doesn't have a system in place already is
> due
> > to nothing but pure political greed and incompetence.
> >
> > Irv

True. But what if a system were designed and ready to go for a meager fee
well under the last few failed proposed amounts.  The feds are willing to
chip in some money, so the state would have little reason to complain.  I
don't know about you, but I have NO ambition/desire to work in the
political arena.  I just want to earn my salary and pay my bills, and after
reading that article, know that children in DFAC's care are truly being
cared for...

Ahh...another thought.  The AJC mentioned that the Feds were willing to
chip in money.  I wonder if we couldn't design a slam-up system, the take
it to the feds and let THEM "encourage" our state leaders to do the right
thing... HMM

Jonathan