[ale] [OT] AJC Article on State Welfare System

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Mon Aug 26 09:12:08 EDT 2002

On Sunday 25 August 2002 08:18 pm, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> I don't get the bird cage liner, er Atlanta Urinal constipation, I mean
> Journal Constitution. :)
>
> What foolishness have they blown major $$ on this time and have NADA to
> show for?
>
> Having been working with PostgreSQL for the past several months, I don't
> think there is much it can't do. Some glue logic to handle distributed
> databases and a solid network infrastructure and local offices run their
> local data on their local machines with a link in to all the other
> machines for cross references and anything else needed.

Ah, my friend, there's a lot PostgreSQL can't do, for example:

1. remove politicians' hands from the taxpayer's pockets.
2. prevent politicians from taking payoffs from every company which wants to
bid on the job
3. create any incentive for government workers to actually do the work
they're paid to do
4. prevent petty political power grabs by so-called "public servants"

OpenSource won't help either.

Let's face facts - this is not an insurmountable task. Lots of big businesses
(credit reporting agencies, for example) already do work of a similar nature
and scale. The reason Georgia doesn't have a system in place already is due
to nothing but pure political greed and incompetence.

Irv