[ale] [OT] Observation on "Screwed"

Bao C. Ha bao at hacom.net
Sun Aug 25 12:54:15 EDT 2002

On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 11:56:59AM -0400, tfreeman at intel.digichem.net wrote:

It is true that many people will not be in the academic areas they
are studying in college.  However, I don't like that fact to be
abused by diploma-mills.  There is a reason why starting salaries of
technical degrees are very high compared to other college graduates.
There is also a reason why Microsoft or IBM is heavily recruiting
CS degreed people from Carnegie Mellon or MIT.

You will see that many engineers can cross over and do other things,
including programming, law, business, medicine.  I doubt very much
that you will see business analyst or tech-certified people to be
able to do engineering works like chemical, mechanical, civil,
electrical, ..., not even the ones with a bachelor degree in
engineering technology.

One of the characteristics of people who have been able to change
from original careers of choices is their very strong background in
math and sciences.  We are trained to do critical and logical
thinking in our college engineering education.  Another characteristics
is the ability to learn new things and to take chances.

My degrees are in Chemical Engineering.  I have changed from a petro-
checmial engineer to nuclear engineer and now a software engineer.  I
have seen an example of a person with a master degree in Mechanical
Engineering to be trained and to become proficient in Java in about
6 months.  I have also seen some supposedly Java heads who do Java like
I was doing Fortran a long time ago.  Forget about object-oriented!

My advice is that if you have a choice, go for a technical degree. If
you like computer, a CS dgeree will be more likely to land your first
job in the computer areas.  In a bad economy situation like right now,
it will also make a world of differences.

Bao

--
Bao C. Ha                    voice: (310) 980-3805
8D66 6672 7A9B 6879 85CD  42E0 9F6C 7908 ED95 6B38