[ale] guess I am screw, eh?

Cade Thacker linux at cade.org
Sat Aug 24 20:37:25 EDT 2002

Considering that I am one week into my BS of CS at Georgia Tech, I guess I
am screwed because of this article. Why oh why did they not published this
thing a week earlier. ;)

http://newsfactor.com/perl/story/19136.html

Is the CS degree(any reputable college) still relevant for the masses? We
will always need people to create compilers and OS stuff, but how many do
we need? You don't really need a CS degree to be a medioce(sp?) Java
programmer(just look at some of my co-workers ;). In thinking about this,
is it kinda like lawyers? We always say we have too many lawyers, but
schools are still pumping them out en mass.

Would this topic be different if we live someplace else like New Enland or
Silicon Valley?

Well damn the torpedos, I am going for it anyway ;)

<snip from article>
"Pretty soon, we'll start to see CIOs having fewer techies on staff," he
said. "The rest will be business analysts, project managers -- those kinds
of people."

Programs To Pursue

As a result of these and other IT changes, high-tech workers may want to
take a few business and management courses to supplement their
technological acumen, according to analysts. One educational path that
could be rocky is the tried-and-true B.S. in computer science. As Craig
Symons, vice president of IT management at Giga Information Group, told
NewsFactor:  "A bachelor's degree in computer science would be overkill
for most people. Computer science is now really a major for those who want
to go into computer hardware or software engineering."

Symons added that people who are interested in creating applications would
be better off in either a certification program or a business program with
a focus on information systems.

</snip>

sigh...

--cade

On Linux vs Windows
Remember, amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic!