[ale] WAY OT: RE: [ale] Is there any way to stop this travesty? -- NO, of course not!

rhiannen rhiannen at atlantacon.org
Fri Aug 23 18:21:38 EDT 2002

Sigh

I have stated my viewpoint an the validity of secret ballots and will
not rehash them.  But, a few statements below truly deserved a reply.

Charles Marcus wrote:
> > The universal, and with equal suffrage, right to vote
> > and to be elected in periodic elections held by secret
> > ballot is considered one of the basic human rights by
> > nearly every civilized nation in the world.
>
> Hah!  I'm really not picking on you, rhiannen.  :)

I didn't say nor imply that you were. Do a search for Human Rights and
see the above tenets posted in various different orders from various
different documents from various different countries around the world.
Although I did not at any point lay claim to any sexualized viewpoint,
it appears the mere addition of the word suffrage in an eminently
logical place elicited a rather intriguing a knee-jerk response.
Fascinating.

<snip>
> Now, before you start calling me a male chauvanist pig - no, I am not saying
> women should not be allowed to vote.  What I'm saying is, if the voting
> PRIVELEGE was limited only to LANDOWNERS, 95% of the problem would be
> solved. The vast majority of people who vote for these liberal bastards that
> promise them bread and circuses do not own land.  People who own land,
> generally have an understanding and respect for what it takes to acquire it
> (like, hold down a job and have a stong work ethic) - and they also have a
> much greater understanding of private property Rights, and are far more
> likely to demand that government respect them.

Oh, then I *and* my husband, who for various economic reasons cannot yet
afford land, and many of our friends who have simply chosen to pay to
have someone else to mow the grass or fix the leaky toilet or repair the
busted furnace (their landlord/apartment owner) do not meet your
particular qualifications to vote.  I guess that would also make my
opinions on the subject null and void as well?

Interestingly enough, land ownership didn't seem to help all those
landowners in Zimbabwe.  Granted, neither did voting help any of their
hired workers who are suffering just as much.

At this point, this conversation has gone beyond off-topic to become
almost absurd.  I'm sure that most of the ALE community would welcome
it, if we were to continue this, if we take this off-list entirely.

----
rhia
knowledge is power - arm yourself