[ale] home networking difficulties

Andrew Grimmke grimmke at directvinternet.com
Fri Aug 23 10:05:25 EDT 2002

Very, very interesting.  For the record, I have Tiny
Personal Firewall installaed on my windows machine and
am running windows me, but the same (or a similar)
issue may apply.  I will check into it.

On Fri, 23 August 2002, Jonathan Glass wrote:

> See my comments below: Sorry if I sent this once
> already.
>
> At 09:40 AM 8/22/2002 -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> >You might try networking the Linux box to itself.
> That is, set the two
> >nics to be in the same subnet and connect them
both to
> the hub.  This way
> >you might reduce the possible issues
substantially.
> From that point, you
> >could verify the cables/cards are functional.  Is
it
> possible, the win box
> >and linux box are trying to talk different
speeds?
> (one 10 the other
> >100).  I'm grasping now (or gasping??).
> >
> >Further comments below.
> >
> >Andrew Grimmke wrote:
> >
> >>1.  The hardware is working, at least to some
degree.
> >>arp apprear to work fine (according to the
tcpdump and
> >>windump outputs), it's icmp that is not
working.

> >I don't know that we can say this definitely just
yet.
>  I would have
> >expected that once you shutdown the firewalls on
both
> machines that you
> >should have been able to either telnet or ping
from
> one to the other in at
> >least one direction.
>
> Interesting thing happened.  A student loaded
ZoneAlarm
> on a Win2K box as
> administrator.  He logged in as himself, and the only
> thing that would work
> as IE.  No NT domains, no SSH, no pinging.  I
> uninstalled ZoneAlarm, and
> still nothing would work.  I checked the zone alarm
> site, and there is an
> issue with Win2K and zone alarm.  You have to manually
> uninstall all the
> files (safe mode, remove them by hand) and registry
> keys, then reboot to
> get full networking back again.  Just a thought...
>

> >>2. I have sent and recieved icmp packets from
the
> linux
> >>box in the past.  So, although I initially
thought
> that
> >>maybe linux was blocking ping responses, I am
thinking
> >>that's a long shot now.
> >
> >Agreed, since you did turn off the firewall and
make
> the same attempt.
> >
> >>3. I have had trouble with icmp on the
windows box
> >>before.  I remembered this recently.  When I
first got
> >>broadband (and was only running windows) I
tried to
> get
> >>a friend to ping me with no luck.  I can ping
myself
> >>(192.168.1.2) internally, however.
> >
> >But pinging yourself more then likely goes the
local
> loop (127.0.0.1) so
> >it never touches the nic, wire, or that subnet.
> >
> >>4. The Windows firewall is off.  Although it
is still
> >>installed, I have removed it from the startup
routine.

> >I guess you could uninstall it to insure they're
not
> trying to 'protect
> >you from yourself' which seems to be a common
thread
> through windows software.
> >
> >>I am starting to think this is a Windows
problem.
> Like
> >>some kind of "stealth mode" where
it ignores icmp
> >>packets.  I could find nothing about this on
the net,

esoteric at 3times25.net

> >I didn't have to buy my radio from a specific
company

href="http://mail.directvinternet.com//jump/http://www.ale.org/mailing-lists.shtml">http://www.ale.org/mailing-lists.shtml</a> for more
> info. Problems should
> &gt;be sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

Andrew Grimmke
Marietta, Georgia