[ale] Lessons learned with rm

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Aug 22 16:09:09 EDT 2002

Well folks with the recent problems Drew had with retrieving removed
files under ext3, I figured I'd share my recent problems.

Working on some java code for work.  Finished testing here and was going
to move it to the test server, so no need for those class files on my
local machine, so I did a rm * .class

Note, I fat fingered the '.' and ended up with a space between the * and
the '.'  Not a good thing.  So, after the customary unrepeatable
language, I umounted the drive and started searching for undel tools.

Low and behold I located e2undel.  Downloaded it, built it, ran it and
well, my stories got a good end to it.  I was able to retrieve all my
deleted files.

Nice tool too folks.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net