[ale] home networking difficulties

Andrew Grimmke grimmke at directvinternet.com
Thu Aug 22 09:52:36 EDT 2002

I know this has been kind of exasperating.  I really
appreciate all you help.  I'm afraid the wife is going
to kill me soon If I don't get that windows box online
;)

I will give the "external loop" configuration a try
this evening.  That would isolate it to the Windows
box, for sure, although it is smelling more and more to
me like that is the culpret.

As for different speeds, I bought everything to be
10/100 and I believe all the cards are on auto, so they
should be at 100 mbps.  I guess I could check.

On Thu, 22 August 2002, Geoffrey wrote:

> You might try networking the Linux box to itself.
That
> is, set the two
> nics to be in the same subnet and connect them both to
> the hub.  This
> way you might reduce the possible issues
substantially.
>  From that
> point, you could verify the cables/cards are
> functional.  Is it
> possible, the win box and linux box are trying to talk
> different speeds?
>   (one 10 the other 100).  I'm grasping now (or
> gasping??).
>
> Further comments below.
>
> Andrew Grimmke wrote:
>
> > 1.  The hardware is working, at least to some
degree.
> > arp apprear to work fine (according to the
tcpdump and
> > windump outputs), it's icmp that is not working.
>
> I don't know that we can say this definitely just
yet.
> I would have
> expected that once you shutdown the firewalls on both
> machines that you
> should have been able to either telnet or ping from
one
> to the other in
> at least one direction.
>

> > 2. I have sent and recieved icmp packets from the
> linux
> > box in the past.  So, although I initially
thought
> that
> > maybe linux was blocking ping responses, I am
thinking
> > that's a long shot now.
>
> Agreed, since you did turn off the firewall and make
> the same attempt.
>

> > 3. I have had trouble with icmp on the windows
box
> > before.  I remembered this recently.  When I
first got
> > broadband (and was only running windows) I tried
> get
> > a friend to ping me with no luck.  I can ping
myself
> > (192.168.1.2) internally, however.
>
> But pinging yourself more then likely goes the local
> loop (127.0.0.1) so
> it never touches the nic, wire, or that subnet.
>

> > 4. The Windows firewall is off.  Although it is
still
> > installed, I have removed it from the startup
routine.

> I guess you could uninstall it to insure they're not
> trying to 'protect
> you from yourself' which seems to be a common thread
> through windows
> software.
>

> > I am starting to think this is a Windows
problem.
> Like
> > some kind of "stealth mode" where it
ignores icmp
> > packets.  I could find nothing about this on the
net,
> > unfortunately.  And of course this is just a
> hypothesis.
>
> See note above. :)

> I didn't have to buy my radio from a specific company
> to listen
> to FM, why doesn't that apply to the Internet
> (anymore...)?

Andrew Grimmke
Marietta, Georgia