[ale] home networking difficulties

Andrew Grimmke grimmke at directvinternet.com
Wed Aug 21 06:38:40 EDT 2002

arp -a on the linux box

dsl-65-188-226-X.telocity.com (65.1188.226.X) at 00:10:E8:0A.....
[ether] on eth0
? (192.168.1.2) at 19:02:16:08..... [ether] on eth1

on windows box.  Strange, I get
no ARP entries found

unless I ping 192.168.1.1

then I get (for a few minutes after)

Interface: 192.168.1.2 on 0x3

internet address     physical address    type
192.169.1.1          00-07-95....        dynamic

also,

I am pretty sure the cabling is right.  I have networked with each of
the cards (for dsl and at lan parties), as well.  When I ping from linux
to windows, if the windows software firewall is up, I get a popup about
"unauthorized ICMP attempt from 192.168.1.1"