[ale] home networking difficulties

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 21 17:51:53 EDT 2002

Andrew Grimmke wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-08-21 at 15:52, Joseph A. Knapka wrote:
> > Andrew Grimmke wrote:

> > > I know it has taken a while, but I have been trying to
> > > figure this out and doing some research on my own.
> > >
> > > the linux box router/firewall is 192.168.1.1
> > > the windows box is 192.168.1.2
> > >
> > > IPchains is running, but I have set a rule to allow
> > > traffic from the 192.168.1.X subnet.
> > >

> > Does it work if you totally disable ipchains? (Just
> > flush all the rules - ipchains -F <chain>, for
> > each chain, IIRC.)
>
> Well,
>
> I flushed the rules (ipchains -F).  Then I listed the rules to make sure
> I did it right (ipchains -L).  All that was lest was the default
> policies:
> Chain input (policy ACCEPT):
> Chain forward (policy ACCEPT):
> Chain output (policy ACCEPT):
>
> then I ping the other machine and nothing.
>
> could it be routing?  the routing table looked pretty straightforward.
> I didn't see anything that looked wrong.

What does "arp -a" show you on each machine? (It -should-
work on the Windows box, and definitely will on the Linux
box). The ARP cache should contain each IP address,
along with the associated hardware (MAC) address. If
they don't, then you may have some bad hardware. I've
had several NICs (cheap Netgear cards) where the
receiver failed - I'd still see packets from those
cards on the network, but they'd never receive
anything. The way I figured that out was by seeing
an ARP reply go out on the net via snort, and then
finding that the machine in question didn't have a
corresponding entry in its ARP cache.

Cheers,

-- Joe
  "I'd rather chew my leg off than maintain Java code, which
   sucks, 'cause I have a lot of Java code to maintain and
   the leg surgery is starting to get expensive." - Me