[ale] Linux the $400 Operating System

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Wed Aug 21 17:29:17 EDT 2002

On Wednesday 21 August 2002 04:53 pm, you wrote:

> Guess I should have been more clear, as someone else emailed me privately
> about this...
>
> I was *not* saying that the conversation didn't take place.  What struck me
> as ridiculous and brought the whole story into question was the notion that
> you returned the equipment after just one bad support call.  No mention of
> talking up the chain of command (asking for supervisors, etc), no multiple
> calls, nothing - just one bad tech support call experience, so you returned
> the product.
>
> Hell, I wouldn't have *anything* if I returned it because of one bad
> experience.

The truth of the matter is that this was after having an Apple support
contract for about 3 or 4 years - we had 12 Mac's, so we made plenty
of calls. Usually the answers were on a par with Microsoft's support,
mainly, "reload the operating system".  We quickly learned to do this
before calling, but that seldom fixed the problem. Sometimes they
were helpful, often not. I don't fault them for this - remote diagnostics
can't be easy. That "Apple wire" question was the just the last
straw; the owner decided he wasn't getting his money's worth.

I was in favor of calling that person's supervisor and reaming a new one,
but the owner, being more polite than I am, just wrote a letter explaining
why he wanted his money back.  To Apple's credit, they didn't argue.

Irv