[ale] clock misset on boot

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 21 17:00:33 EDT 2002

Trivial problem, but it still bugs me! :)

When I boot Linux the boot process resets the box to GMT/UTC and
I must add four hours to the clock. It doesn't mess with the
date or the minutes/seconds, just the hour.

The only clue I can find is this line from the boot log:

Aug 21 15:38:38 localhost rc.sysinit: Setting clock  (localtime): Wed Aug 21
15:38:28 UTC 2002 succeeded

looking at rc.sysinit I see the script contains these lines:

------------------------- <begin copy> ---------------------------
# Set the system clock.
ARC=0
SRM=0
UTC=0

if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/clock ]; then
   . /etc/sysconfig/clock

   # convert old style clock config to new values
   if [ "${CLOCKMODE}" = "GMT" ]; then
      UTC=true
   elif [ "${CLOCKMODE}" = "ARC" ]; then
      ARC=true
   fi
fi

I _think_ my question is where does re.sysinit find the variable
CLOCKMODE?  Given the results I believe that variable is set to
GMT rather than EDT.

Sean