[ale] Best Desktop Env or Distro for Windows users?

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Wed Aug 21 15:51:10 EDT 2002

This is an excellent point, and definitely an issue that would need to be
satisfied.

IceWM by itself does not support desktop icons - but you can open a
directory with Konqueror and drop it there.

You can use certain file managers to provide support for desktop icons
though.  ROX filer is one that works fine with IceWM.

> Can I use Mozilla's copy command to paste something
> into StarOffice (and I mean using the menu copy/
> paste, not the X11 2nd/1st button copy/paste)

Good question - I'll have to look into this once I get my Gentoo machine
done.

> I agree it doesnt really matter what the users think
> about the choice the IT management made, but if you
> are going to switch from Windows to Linux and you
> dont want productivity to take a huge hit, you want
> to give them something that will work almost exactly
> like Windows.

I disagree with the 'almost exactly like Windows' part.  As long as it is
easy to learn and use, I do *not* believe it has to work 'almost exactly
like Windows'.

But I do wholeheartedly agree that it must be very user friendly, and rock
solid stable, which is another issue - simple Window Managers are much more
stable than KDE or GNOME, *because* they don't have all the eye-candy.

Charles