[ale] Best Desktop Env or Distro for Windows users?

F. Grant Robertson f.g.robertson at alexiongroup.com
Wed Aug 21 11:52:48 EDT 2002

You know, on this subject..  Why now, like 6 years after I first installed
RedHat 4, and many more years since the birth of Xfree, the kernel and all
this other fabulous stuff was created.. Why do we still not have something
universaly transparent like DDE or OLE in X that can traverse window
managers?  K has it's thing, gnome has it's thing...  why is there not
something at a lower level that handles this?  I can use the same font
server across desktops, and even across variants of X but, I can't drag and
drop..  Couldn't GPM handle this somehow?  X? Some other little doohickey
like Xfs?

I'd love to hear some programmers that have more experience with the deeper
workings of unix, X and window management than I do give a good explination
of why not, and what would be involved to actually make this happen.

-G