[ale] Best Desktop Env or Distro for Windows users?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Aug 21 09:43:45 EDT 2002

John Wells wrote:
> As I mentioned in a previous email, I've talked my site manager into
> exploring Linux for site-wide desktop deployment.
>
> As most (53 of 55) users here are strictly Windows users, I'd like hear
> some opinions on what the best desktop env./distro is for *complete*
> Linux/Unix newbies.  What's the most stable?  Easiest to use?  Most
> intuitive?

I don't think you can go wrong with RH, Mandrake or SuSE, but I can
vouch for Red Hat at this point.  I've had my mother-in-law using if for
a good 6 months now.  Unfortunately I found that you'll probably need to
do some manual configuration.  For example, if you select an attachment
in an email, it generally pops up a download window.  I set up my
mother-in-laws box to open word docs in abiword.

There will be a training curve.  One thing you'll need to repeat
constantly is that Linux doesn't do a lot of the automatic stuff
(opening files with particular software) because of security issues.
Look where Outlook and Word have gotten us.

You'll probably want to go with kde, it's more windows looking and will
be more comfortable to the folks.  I personally prefer Gnome.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net