[ale] The Linux Cookbook [WAS: Ignorant Newbie]

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Wed Aug 21 05:37:31 EDT 2002

Julia Malvina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was just wondering if there's a class somewhere that gives you an
> introduction to Linux.  I've installed it on an old computer but am not
> sure about some of the terminology and other basics.  I feel like if I
> understood just a little more I might be able to move along faster.
>
> Anyway, hope I haven't bothered y'all.  I'll go back to lurking.

"Tips and Techniques for Everyday Use"

I came across a wonderful addition today, "The Linux Cookbook" by Michael Stutz from No Starch Press.  It's available in print, and online at http://dsl.org/cookbook/

Mostly basic stuff, but even I came across a handy thing or two I didn't know. (for example, the vid: type for the display command!)

--
Lost in Tokyo,
  Keith