[ale] no space left on disk that's 65% full??

Michael Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Tue Aug 20 10:10:40 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-08-19 at 10:48, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> Michael Hirsch had a similar problem a while back (a year ago or so). He
> was running reiserfs. I don't remember all the details, but reiserfs was
> not reporting all the space as available due to its journalling/loging
> process. If you are running a journalling file system, I would recommend
> you start looking at its idea of "full". The log may be full and
> blocking on writes to the real file system.

I did indeed have that problem.  As Jim said, it was a Reiserfs specific
problem that has been fixed in the more recent (2.4.x, I think, I was on
2.4.0-pre7 or -pre9) kernels.

I doubt if that is the same problem you are having because you jprobably
aren't running such an untested kernel and RedHat usually doesn't use
Reiserfs.  But there could be.

The problem was that when a process had a file open, and the file was
unlinked, the disk space would not get freed when the process exited.
In my case df showed the disk being full, so it wounds quite different
from your situation.

--michael