[ale] Ooops - Moved some CVS files others have checked out.

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Mon Aug 19 18:16:20 EDT 2002

ALErs -

Sorry - this must be a FAQ, but I didn't find it. Sorry^^2 - for some
reason I can't get this posted to the relevant newsgroup.

First I renamed some files in CVS to correct naming and usage conventions:

 <somedir>/YOYO.STRING
to:
 <somedir>/YoYo.string

Then I did 'cvs remove <oldname>; cvs add <newname>; cvs commit -m
"renaming"' to seal the deal for future checkouts. (The old files are
still available by 'cvs checkout -D "2002-08-19" <filenames>')

I realize now that some developers have checked-out sets of these files
and will have to synchronize their work with my new names.

If I could make those 'old' versions current so developers could check in
what they have in-progress, that would be very helpful.

What's the smoothest way work through this situation.

(Fortunately only a few files and only a few developers are involved!)

TIA.
 - John Mills