[ale] great digital camera?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Aug 19 10:20:09 EDT 2002

I think that Irv has it backwards. Can any affordable digital camera
come close to the resolution quality of even a disposable, emulsion-film
camera. The answer is still no. The film has a definition range that
exceeds the digital camera by at least an order of magnitude.

A friend of mine is a professional photographer. He has a collection of
(think HUNDREDS) of camera that include both digital and film. He uses
the digitals to stage a shot and the film to record it. He has grumbled
about the grain appearing in digital blow-ups at 8"x10" that doesn't
show up until 24"x30" on cheap film. Never mind that there is film that
can survive blow-ups to 1000x original size and still have sharpness.

My Nikkon 6006 with Kodak 100 will blow up great to 8x10. Then scanned
at 600dpi (HUGE FILES!) is a great basis for digital photography.

But the digital cameras are way cool in the ability delete a bad picture
on the fly. They are also fundamentally different in the light gathering
aspects. Which is why astronomers like them so much.