[ale] Gentoo Linux install question

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Sun Aug 18 14:21:59 EDT 2002

OK - but how big is the drive itself?  Recommendations I got in response
stretch from 1GB to 4GB, so unless its a really old drive, it should be
ebough if its all on partition - which leaves us with memory.  I'm still
waiting ona response as to how much specific directories might need for
installs that partition out /tmp, /usr and /var.

>> The thrashing may also have been due to the low
>> memory situation (32MB being half the 'ideal'
>> Gentoo recommends)...
>>
>> Hmmmm.  I looked around and didn't see any definitive
>> answers as to how much free disk space you need before
>> beginning an install - I'll ask on the list - usually
>> get a fast reply...

> Great, I guess I can add more.  I just find it hard to
> believe they claim 486 and up, when 64 meg would be a
> lot of memory for a 486.

Well, yeah - but I guess they were talking strictly about potential - ie, it
could 'potentially' be installed on a 486 box, but specified an ideal amount
of RAM.

The reason it needs the RAM is because it is installing from source, and has
to compile everything - this could potentially take *days* without enough
RAM.

One thing though - if you successfully install Gentoo, at least you know
your hardware is good, cause if there are *any* weaknesses, these heavy
source compiles will find them.

Charles