[ale] What's with this "RotatE()" message?

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Sat Aug 17 09:44:50 EDT 2002

On Friday 16 August 2002 11:49 pm, you wrote:
> Klez.  It spoofs both the sender and to addresses from Outlook address
> books.  As I understand it, it should have two attachments.  One is the
> virus infected file and the other is a random file picked up off the
> infected computer.  Scarry huh?  Never know where that Quicken checkbook
> file might end up these days...

Yep. I get 2 or 3 every day. I always use khexedit to view the attachments,
which are sometimes interesting.  I've gotten one rather longish report
from the CEO of a major corporation, marked "CONFIDENTIAL".:)

If you look into the first attachment, you'll find that regardless of its
filename or extension, it is actually a Visual C program which is a mail
client.  Their are enough "CONNECT"  strings inside to make it clear what it
is trying to do. Since it requires Windows to run (says so right in the code)
you have little to worry about.  Just keep running Linux.

But there's no use trying to contact the sender, that address is forged, as
is the reply-to address.  Tracking down the real sender isn't easy.

Irv