[ale] (FA)Q: installed kernel SRPM - now what?

Mike Panetta ahuitzot at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 16 17:38:02 EDT 2002

Did you really create the /usr/src/redhat directory?  If you did, did
you also create the SOURCES, SPECS, BUILD, RPMS/{i386, i486, i586, i686,
athlon, noarch}, and SRPMS dirs too?  If you did not the RPM will not
build (RPM stupidly IMO does not create the dirs for you if they do not
exist).

The file not found error could (believe it or not) be referring to one
of the (possibly) missing directories above (more then likely the BUILD
dir).  RPM is sometimes confusing.  One of the things that annoyed me
the most about RPM when I was first learning about building my own was
if the RPMS/ dir or one of them did not exist, the RPM build would not
complain about it untill AFTER it had already finished compiling
everything, so with a long RPM build like the kernel, the error would
not be noticed untill like 30min to an hr after I started the build, and
I would have to restart it after fixing it!

Yes RPM can be annoying, but I still like it, or atleast the idea of how
its supposed to work.

Mike