[ale] [somewhat OT] Fat thin client

Jordi S. Bunster j.bunster at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 16 13:58:03 EDT 2002

Problem: My mother wants email, and does not want to mess neither with
my brother's machine neither with my workstation, because we're always
using them.

I have some spare hardware here at home. P75, 16 or 32 megs, 200 mb
harddisk. The problem is, I don't want to make it an X-Terminal to my
workstation, because I don't have that much horsepower to serve her
graphical applications and my Java development (it is already painful
to develop Java2 on a P200 with 64 megs of ram). I'm also being the NAT
router to the house. No way.

What I wanted was a thin standalone machine, at least with the ability
to run a decent graphical web-broswer. Decent enough for her to access a
web-based mail client from my workstation, and thus read her alredy
fecthmailed messages.

I thought about FreeDOS and this Arachne graphical browser. Though its
license seems a bit odd.

Any suggestions? By the way, buying a NIC is out of question. With that
money, I can buy her a computer faster than mine.

-- Jsb