[ale] Gentoo Linux install question

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Thu Aug 15 09:34:37 EDT 2002

Hey Geoffrey,

Hmmm, I remember seeing a bit about this (installing from behind a firewall)
on the list, let me go see what I can find... ok, here's a few, see if this
helps...

***********************
Did you set the HTTP_PROXY environment variable ?

In my case I had to do:

export HTTP_PROXY=gatekeeper.???.com:8080
export FTP_PROXY=gatekeeper.???.com:8080

from that moment I could emerge applications that needed an internet
connection. However "emerge rsync" doesn't work,
I assume it needs a direct connection. When you have figured it out already
please let me know how to "rsync".
************************
My setup is similar.  Here is how I work it.

First I:
  export http_proxy=http://ip:88
  export ftp_proxy=http://ip:88

Then I grab the latest portage tree "snapshot"
  wget http://www.gentoo.org/snapshots/portage-20020402.tar.bz2

Then in /usr:
  tar -xjvf /path/to/snapshot/portage-20020402.tar.bz2

Then emerge at will.

I'll keep looking for more - let me know if you get it working...

Charles