[ale] New Twiki topic LinuxInGASchools

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 14 11:50:17 EDT 2002

It seems quite clear that everyone on this thread (besides
me, natch) is talking past one another.

Mike: your points make perfect sense.

Charles: No one said LTSP is a "distribution". Mike's
point is that no matter where these problems arise,
their solution must be addressed at the distribution
level. So for example, an "EduLinux" distro would
include KDE *and* LTSP *and* whatever other applications
are appropriate, and all of those *components* would
be configured out-of-the-box in an appropriate manner
for use in educational institutions.

No one has argued that LTSP is a bad product, only
that it may require some configuration tweaks in order
to perform properly in a particular situation - just
like any other piece of software. Jeff's
point, and Mike's restatement of that point, is just
that requiring a user to deal with those issues is
a recipe for disaster; they need to be addressed
elsewhere, comprehensively, and be resolved long
before the user has a chance to trip over them

Cheers,

-- Joe

--
 "I'd rather chew my leg off than maintain Java code, which
 sucks, 'cause I have a lot of Java code to maintain and the