[ale] [Fwd: [Am-info] Dell Outsmarts Microsoft!]

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Aug 14 07:13:54 EDT 2002

I've been following a thread on another list about M$ requiring Dell to
preload an OS on all it's computers.  Just received this latest update
which seems to indicate Dell has pulled one over on Microsoft.  Dell's
throwing in a free version of free-dos, not installed but in the box.  I
love it. :)

My favorite part of Microsoft's reason for forcing the OS issue is that
it's supposed to combat piracy and better track OS shipments.

Dell Outsmarts Microsoft!

The PC maker next month will introduce n-Series corporate desktop and
workstations that ship without Microsoft's Windows, or any other operating
system, pre-installed.

The new desktops appear to be a slick interpretation of Microsoft's new
licensing terms and a way to navigate customer demand for PCs without an OS
installed. The Microsoft licensing terms, which were put in place on Aug. 1,
specify that PC makers must ship PCs with an operating system. The new
policy
exists to prevent piracy and to better track OS shipments.

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-949671.html?tag=fd_top

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net